Are you planning to travel to Canada anytime soon? Have you already applied for an IEC work permit in Canada?
Well, if you have already applied for a working holiday visa for Canada and are planning to head out to this country soon, then you already know that once you get the work permit in hand, you will be able to work during your entire stay in Canada. The work permit generally comes with an expiry data that generally remains in synch with the expiry date of your visa. But what if you want to extend your trip a little and want to extend your work permit as well? Well, for starters you will have to get your visa extended and your work permit too. Wondering how to do that?
Here are a few suggestions that will definitely come in handy:
- You will have to send in an application for the extension of your work permit during your stay in Canada. This application has to be sent in at least 30 days before the date of expiry of your work permit. Once your work permit expires you will not be legally employed by anybody when in the country.
- A lot depends on the type of permit that you have applied for. If within the 30 days you have sent in the application then you can continue to work under the same conditions of your original work permit until you get the new one. But if you apply for a different kind of permit, then you will have to stop working under the conditions of the previous permit, once it expires. These are huge legal issues that you should always keep in mind for a hassle-free stay in the city.
- One thing that you should keep in mind when it comes to the extension process is that you will have to apply again for your work permit to get extended. You will only be eligible for an extension if there has been any change in your job and it demands you to stay longer in the country. You will need to keep all your documents handy and get them scanned in order to fill up the application form online. You can also submit a written application, the form for which can be downloaded online from the official website of the Canadian government.
- You should bear in mind that the Canada holiday working visa is a temporary one and it does not make you eligible for a permanent stay in Canada. If you find the country suitable to your needs and want to settle down over here then you will have to undergo a totally different process to apply for permanent residency here.
- And last but not the least, you can stay and work in the country even after your work permit has expired, only and only if you have already sent in an application for the extension of your work permit before the expiry date of the permit.
Keep these very essential points in mind when it comes to applying for an extension of your work permit in Canada.