Majority of people who desire to travel to Canada need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. Some may need only a valid passport.
Find out what entry document you need to travel to or transit via Canada: visa or ETA. The entry document required depends on the following factors:
- Nature of travel document you plan to travel with
- The country which issued your travel document
- Your method of travel to Canada
- Your nationality
What is a Visitor visa or temporary resident visa?
It is an official document stamped on your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements to travel to Canada
Majority of travelers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. You may also need a visa if you are transiting via a Canadian airport to travel to any other destination.
Basic requirements for how to apply for visa to Canada from India:
You must qualify for some basic criteria to travel to Canada:
- Possess a valid travel document like a visa or ETA.
- Be in sound health
- Must not have any immigration related or criminal convictions.
- Must be able to convince an immigration officer that you have strong ties like- home, job, family or financial assets that will reach you back to the home country.
- Must be able to convince immigration officer that you will leave Canada after length of stay.
- You must bear proof of enough money for stay In Canada. The nature of finances you need depends on whether you are staying in hotel or with friends or family members.
- You may also need a medical examination and letter of invitation from a citizen of Canada.
Some individuals are inadmissible to Canada such as those involved in:
- Organized crime
- Human rights violations
- Criminal activity
- Other health, security and financial reasons
Case of minor children travelling to Canada:
Children below age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. They must adhere to all rules applicable to others to enter Canada.
Minors who are travelling without parents or legal guardians and those without proper travel documents will be scrutinized closely. Border service officials are on alert for helping children who need protection and look out carefully for runaway or missing children. They may ask questions about children travelling with you or children who are travelling alone. Ensure you have proper documents.
Documents needed for minor children:
They are needed as per:
- If minor is travelling all alone
- If minor is travelling with only one parent
- If minor is travelling with adoptive parents or legal guardian
- If minor is travelling with any others than legal guardian
- If minor is entering Canada for educational purposes (minors must apply for study permit if they desire to study in Canada).
How long one can stay in Canada?
This will be determined by Border Services Officer at the port of entry in Canada. Majority of visitors are granted 6 months of stay from the date of entry to Canada. If the officer issues a stay of less than 6 months, date of exit from Canada will be indicated in the passport.