Canada is a beautiful country to explore. You may also wish to visit friends or family stationed there. To enter Canada, you require a Visitor’s Visa or eTA(Electronic Travel Authorization).
An example of visit visa to Canada is the Super Visa for Parents and Grandparents.
For grandparent/parent super visa application, you need to be any of the following:
- Grandparent or parent of a citizen/ Permanent Resident in Canada.
- Allowed to enter Canada
- Meet some other conditions
Immigration officers consider many issues to decide on your eligibility to come to Canada. You must provide proof of reason for returning from Canada. Details considered include:
- Ties to home country
- Reason of visit
- Your finances and family
- Political and economic stability of home country
- Invite from a Canadian host.
Other details include:
- Proof of minimum income threshold of child or grandchild
- Written proof of grandchild or child providing financial support.
- Possess valid coverage of medical insurance in Canada for minimum one year.
- Proof of immigration medical exam.
Most travellers to Canada require a visitor visa. It may be needed even if you are transiting via Canada to any other country.
Travellers with visitor visa need to know that they are not allowed to take up any kind of job during their sojourn in Canada. Persons travelling with this visa are allowed to take along their children or dependants.
But visitors to Canada must fulfil certain needs. Basic travel needs are:
- You must possess a passport.
- Be in good health.
- Have no immigration related or criminal convictions.
- You have to convince immigration officers that you have ties in your home country which will cause you to return- like job, home, family or financial assets.
- You must convince officials that you will exit Canada at end of your visit.
- You need to provide proof that you have enough finances for period of stay. (This amount depends on your period of stay and whether you will be staying in a hotel or with friends and family).
- You will need a letter of invitation and a medical exam.
- Citizens from some countries require a temporary resident visa.
- You must vow not to seek employment in Canada
- You must comply with the laws of Canada.
Some people are not allowed to Canada such as those involved in:
- Human rights violations
- Criminal activity
- Organized crime
- Those who do not meet financial, health and security criteria.
For eTA, your needs depend on:
- Type of documents for travel
- Country that issued travel document
- Your nationality
- Mode of travel to Canada
If you do not possess a valid travel document like eTA or Visa, you will not be allowed to board flight to Canada.
How to Apply
You can apply both online and in paper. In the case, of online application, instant digital copies of documents must be provided. Paper application needs accurate details. Sometimes biometric information may be required.